December is supposedly the “Most Wonderful Time of the Year”, however your body may not agree! With so much going on and so many demands on your time, it can be hard to maintain your usual self-care routine.
No time to exercise is a lament we hear a lot and, of course, December just makes it worse. Here are a few easy ways to fit some daily care and attention into your busier-than-ever schedule:
- Do you hit the snooze button? Do these 3 simple exercises before getting out of bed.
- Taking a lunch break? go for a quick walk – it may be chilly, but the dose of fresh air (and maybe even sunshine!) is well worth it.
- Can you take the stairs? Even if you live on the 20th floor of a condo building like me, you can get off the elevator at the 17th or 18th floor and walk up from there.
- Carrying shopping? Added resistance!
- Need a drink? Rum and eggnog may be delicious, but don’t forget to hydrate – aim for 8 cups of water a day.
- Going to the mall? Park at the back of the lot and walk a little further.
- Taking transit? Get off a stop or two early and walk the rest of the way.
- If you do manage an evening at home, go to Youtube and find a yoga/pilates/stretch video to do. While it isn’t the same as 3 times a week at the gym, it does help to keep your body moving.
Keep these habits up through the next month and you will be well on your way to meeting those New Year’s resolutions!
Wishing you a happy, healthy holiday season!